This recipe was adapted from an episode from Food Drives and Dives - The Gatsby Restaurant in Sacramento. I feel totally in love with the idea of a vegetarian "slider" made of grilled beets.
|Sweet Potato - cut in strings|
This stuff is addicting! The best part it's good for you
- 1 belgian endive ** you can use green cabbage or romaine lettuce
- 1 green onion
- 2 red radish
- 1 tbsp of light mayo
- 1tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- Cheese Grater or Food Processor
- Olive Oil
- Pepper to taste
- 2-3 beets
- 2-3 hawaiian rolls or any type of slider bread rolls
- 1 celery chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- handful of coriander
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices of bacon
- splash of onion powder
- splash of garlic powder
- In a pot of boiling water, add all the ingredients listed on the beet slider. Cook for 60 minutes till the beets are tender.
- Take beets out and let it cool.
- While the beets are cooling work on the endive salad by just combining all the ingredients together. Chill in the fridge
- Using a cheese- grater or food processor, cut the sweet potatoes in strings.
- Flash fry in olive oil to achieve crunch.
- Healthy version - Coat with olive oil and roast in oven at Broil till it is crunchy and dark brown in color.
- Heat oven at Broil temp and put in slider rolls or hawaiian rolls till it's toasted
- Cut the beets in thick sizes and braise in a hot pan till the surface of the beets is nicely golden and carmelize
- Put it on top of the hawaiian bread rolls, topped with endive salad, and add in the sweet potato rings.